The Third Chapter : Interview with Sally Hong (English ver.)
In this conversation, Sally Hong reflects on the freedom to create honestly, without being defined by the expectations of others. Working through abstraction, she draws from nature, patterns, colour, and the rhythms of everyday life, allowing each painting to unfold through layers, lines, and movement. Rather than knowing where a work will end, she stays attentive to what draws her in, what feels unresolved, and what begins to emerge along the way.
In this chapter of The Core Message, we follow Sally Hong’s reflections on learning to trust the process, remain with uncertainty, and accept imperfection as part of both life and art. Through her practice, the act of continuing becomes a way of discovering what a work—and perhaps we ourselves—might become.
--
Q. Thank you for joining us. To begin our conversation, we are curious to know how you define your identity as an artist at this moment and what central theme most occupies your thoughts.
A. Hello, I'm Sally, based in Sydney, Australia.
This is a very personal reflection and one I feel vulnerable sharing. My identity as an artist is grounded in my faith in Jesus, and in reflecting on God's love for me and the world. This shapes both who I am and how I create and is where I feel most secure when I approach the canvas.
From there, I draw inspiration from the world around me, in nature, patterns, colour, and the rhythms of everyday life. I'm always exploring how those elements can be translated from the physical world into abstract forms that reflect both what I see and what I'm experiencing internally.
I love abstraction because it leaves room for mystery.
Rather than telling people exactly what to see, it invites them to bring their own experiences, questions, and stories into the work..
A central theme in my practice is the freedom that comes from creating for an audience of one, my Creator. This removes the pressure of seeking approval from others and allows me to embrace imperfection as part of the process.
| 7325 Detail |
Q. This chapter is titled The Core Message. If you were to describe the “anchor” or the central idea that runs through your practice, what would it be?
A. The anchor that holds my practice together is knowing that I am fully known and loved by God. In a recent art series titled 04/26, I was especially grounded by the idea that God sees the depth of my heart, sees all my imperfection, and still loves me for who I am. That truth speaks into so much of what I wrestle with - fear of man, of wanting to please other people, insecurity, and imposter syndrome. Remembering that I am loved in the midst of all that gave me freedom to create, to move with more honesty, and to express without being controlled by those fears. Ultimately, His love is the foundation of my identity and an invitation to express that through art.
Q.Is there a specific piece among your works that you feel most clearly embodies this "core message"? We would love to hear the story behind that work and why it holds such a special place in your heart.
A. One of the pieces that most clearly embodies this for me is 7325 - Nothing but You. It’s based on Psalm 73:25: "Who have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth I desire besides You."
What speaks to me so deeply in that Psalm is the journey within it. At first, the psalmist is looking at others and wrestling with envy, almost wondering how they could seem to have it all. But the turning point is when he realises he had been senseless and ignorant of what God had already given him. He had expected to see God's goodness in shallow, material ways, yet in God's presence he came to see that those things are nothing compared with what he truly has. His portion is God Himself.
That is why this piece means so much to me. It reminds me that what matters most is not the approval of others or the things of this world, but belonging to God and finding that He is enough. There is a freedom that comes when you arrive at that place - when you realise that what your heart has always needed and wanted is Him. To desire nothing more than God is a kind of richness, contentment, and joy that the world cannot give you.
In this particular work, I felt that freedom in the movement of the paint, in the vibrancy of the colours, and in the repeated lines that often appear in my practice. Those lines feel like pathways - reflecting faith, life, and the unfolding of my art practice. For me, this piece carries that rediscovery: that God is my portion, and that in Him there is a deeper freedom than anything the world can offer.
Q. Sometimes, the most important messages are felt rather than seen. Is there a "whisper" or a subtle atmosphere in your work that you hope the audience will sense, even if it’s hard to put into words?
A. In my work, I often return to line-making because, for me, lines feel like pathways, direction, and movement. They carry the eye somewhere and suggest that life is not still, but unfolding, and leading us on this journey. Maybe it's a quiet invitation into a deeper journey of faith.
Q. Artists often find themselves returning to a certain inquiry. What is the persistent question you find yourself asking through your art, regardless of how your style may change?
A. The persistent question I find myself asking is simply “what happens if I keep going?”
As I paint, I layer, cover marks, add lines, build texture, and respond to what is already there. Each mark sits in conversation with what came before it and each layer becomes part of a story unfolding.
Rather than trying to control the outcome, I'm learning to stay curious, to notice what draws me in, what makes me uncomfortable, and what each new layer reveals. Sometimes the painting process feels like life itself. Each layer becomes part of the story, shaping what the work eventually becomes, just as our experiences shape who we are.
1555 / Overcome Acrylic & oil pastel on canvas A3 |
Q. In an era of rapidly changing trends, how do you maintain your own pace and stay focused on the voice that matters most to you?
A. This one is really hard, because I often look at Instagram and get really distracted.
It may sound strange, but listening to music helps ground me. It clears my mind from thinking about what other people might like, and helps me focus on creating in a way that feels honest to who I am. It reminds me why I paint in the first place, for an audience of one.
Q. During the creative process, is there a specific moment or a sensation of "rightness" that tells you a piece has successfully captured your intended message?
A. No, never. It rarely feels right to me. In my eyes it always looks unfinished and as though something isn't right. I have to walk away and not look at it for a while. That is probably one of the hardest challenges for me. I second-guess myself constantly but I have come to accept that imperfection is part of both life and art, and that beauty can still come through what feels unresolved.
Q. Beyond the final result, what part of the "act of creating" itself do you find most precious or aligned with your personal values?
A. What feels most precious to me is the sense of security in my identity that allows me not to be afraid to paint and explore within my art practice. The whole process is vulnerable, but I know art only happens when I am willing to take risks and put myself out there.
Every attempt becomes part of the artwork, and although it can be scary knowing that others will have opinions, I keep coming back to creating from a place of honesty and freedom, rather than fear.
234 / Valley Acrylic & oil pastel on canvas A3 |
234 Detail |
Q. Looking back, was there a specific experience that shifted your focus beyond purely aesthetic concerns and led you to think more deeply about what you wanted to convey through your work?
A. I do not recall one specific experience because I’ve always wanted my artwork to carry meaning. When I first started painting abstract, I often found myself drawing lines into the canvas.
Over time, I realised those lines weren't simply a visual language—they reflected the questions I was already asking about identity, journey, and purpose. What began as an instinctive mark became a natural way of expressing those deeper reflections through abstraction.
Q. As your practice has evolved, how has your core message shifted or become more defined over time?
A. It hasn't changed, but it has become clearer over time. As I’ve grown in my art practice, I’m able to embrace the way I naturally work, especially through layering, colours, and line.
I remember telling an art teacher that I just wanted to be able to finish a painting without throwing it away after five minutes. I used to find it really hard to sit with what felt unresolved and uncomfortable, and my first instinct was often to cover it, smudge it out, or start again.
Over time, I have learned to stay with that discomfort. That has shaped both my process and the deeper message in the work. Layering has become part of that language - covering, revealing, responding, and allowing the painting to unfold in its own time.
Now, instead of wanting to throw a painting away after five minutes, I stay with it long enough to discover what it is becoming.
Q. What kind of internal conversation do you hope a viewer has with themselves when they spend time with your work? What is the "echo" you hope stays with them?
A. I hope my work creates space for people to pause and ask themselves questions they may not have considered before.
What is shaping my identity? Where is my life leading?
I hope the paintings invite viewers to look beyond the surface and walk away with a greater sense of curiosity about who they are and what lies beyond the visible world, then I feel the work has done what it was meant to do.
628 / Consider The Lilies Acrylic & oil pastel on canvas A3 |
Q. Thank you so much for sharing such thoughtful insights with us today. As we conclude our conversation, is there a final thought or a quiet sincerity you would like to share with those who will encounter your work?
A. At the deepest level, through my art, I hope they will encounter the truth that they are loved and known by God, because I genuinely believe that if you search, you will find Him.
Thank you, I really enjoyed our conversation. I have a long way to go in growing in my faith and in my practice.
Comments
Post a Comment